Third-culture breakfast: Asia-inspired morning feasts from Hetty McKinnon

From Hong Kong-style French toast, sweetened with condensed milk, to miso oats with avocado, these breakfast recipes greet the day at full tilt

Growing up, I didn’t understand my mother’s elaborate morning feasts. I was not always comfortable with my identity. Even though I was born in Australia, I didn’t feel particularly Australian, or Chinese for that matter.

After I started cooking in earnest, everything clicked into place. The more I cooked, the more connected I felt to my mother and her cultural heritage. The way I cook is, in many ways, third-culture cooking, a cross-pollination of ideas and techniques that are grounded in my Chinese heritage, yet greatly influenced by growing up in the western world. It is not distinctly Chinese, nor Australian, but rather a third interpretation of the two cultures.

Continue reading...

from Lifestyle | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3jLpiPW

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form