Romantic love isn’t what it’s cracked up to be. Here’s why we don’t need it

For increasing numbers of people finding ‘the one’ is no longer the ideal, and there are different, equally valid, ways to connect

I have spent much of the past decade talking to people about love. I make it clear that any type of love is a welcome topic but when I ask what love is, my interviewees often shoot straight to romantic love. This is partly down to the inadequacy of our language: that small word has to do a lot of heavy lifting. But it is also because of the multibillion-pound industry that has convinced us the search for “the one” is the be-all and end-all. Mention love and that’s where we immediately go.

But does this obsession with romantic love still reflect the lives we lead? In my new book, Why We Love: The New Science Behind our Closest Relationships, I have spoken to people from different backgrounds who have made me rethink our acceptance of romantic love as the dominant narrative. For some it is not a priority, for others it is a restrictive stereotype, while for others it can be a source of risk. As Valentine’s Day comes round again maybe it’s time for a different perspective.

Continue reading...

from Lifestyle | The Guardian https://ift.tt/VdZyBuG

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form