How we met: ‘He used to annoy me. I was really small and he was always picking me up’

Priscilla, 39, and Anthony, 41, first met as teenagers, and bonded over their love of happy hardcore music. They now live together in Manchester, with their three boys

As a teenager growing up in Manchester, Priscilla was a big fan of CB radio. The system, which was designed for truck drivers to communicate, became a craze at her school in the 90s. “I convinced my mum to buy one,” she remembers. “It had 40 channels and there was one where you could shout out to speak to other people and move to another channel for a chat.” As with modern social media accounts, users chose a handle for themselves.

In 1996, she started talking to Anthony and they bonded over their shared love of happy hardcore music. “My handle was Ecstasy and his was Haçienda,” she laughs. Around the same time, Anthony became friends with a boy who lived close to Priscilla. “I saw her one day when I was with him and he told me that was Cilla AKA Ecstasy from the radio,” he says. “I’d not seen her before, so didn’t know what she looked like. I liked her straight away. She was beautiful.”

Continue reading...

from Lifestyle | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2WnypzJ

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form