Post-breakup, I fell into a safety net of friends. Some might call it freeloading | Natasha Sharma

Single life can often be a social and financial disadvantage, but it can also open doors to more communal ways of living

“Breaking up is never easy …” goes the Abba song my dad loves, and breaking up during a pandemic is a special kind of hard. In January I broke up with my partner of almost three years. We were living together in a large share house, so as the one who did the breaking up, I moved out. I left a house that I loved, three beloved housemates who had seen me through the worst of the lockdown, and a hard-won routine that had worn itself like a pair of old shoes into my life.

I have a friend who refers to all romantic partnerships as “projects”. He means that when you commit to a life with someone (even in the short term) you’re agreeing to make decisions that support the other person; you have a vested interest in helping them achieve their dreams. He says partnerships that are successful are the ones that kill it at making their individual dreams align; a kind of mutually assured happiness.

Continue reading...

from Lifestyle | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3gXa5Ns

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form