Why I finally faced my fear and taught myself to swim during the pandemic

Desperate to find alternative ways to calm her nerve pain, Fiza Pirani was determined to finally escape the shallow end and find new relief

I quit swim lessons at my local aquatics center in the Georgia suburbs when I was a teenager, ashamed of being in the beginner’s class with toddlers and embarrassed of my unrecognizable, exposed, maturing brown body in a bathing suit. In college, where swimming was a requirement in freshman year, I managed to excuse myself from the class with a doctor’s note, afraid of never making it out of those dark blue waters.

Yet despite my aversion, in April I stood in front of the untouched backyard pool my immigrant family had always dreamed of and finally got last summer. A YouTube video titled “How to Swim” was queued up on my phone.

Continue reading...

from Lifestyle | The Guardian https://ift.tt/328Uani

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form