How we met: ‘We’re on the same wavelength – we even hate the same politicians’

Morna, 68, and David West, 72, fell in love in Spain in 1980 after they were searched by police on a train journey. They have two grownup daughters and live in Edinburgh

When Morna Duthie moved to Sitges, Spain, in autumn 1980, she wasn’t expecting to find love. “I went there after breaking up with the partner I’d been living with in Barcelona,” she says. “I had already been working in Spain as a teacher for four years. At the time I was at a school in Castelldefels.”

David West, who is originally from California, was also a teacher living in Sitges. He had discovered the coastal town by accident in 1977. “I was travelling through Europe with a friend and we stopped there when our passports were stolen,” he says. “I fell in love with it so I trained to teach in Ireland so I could go back.” He landed a job at the Dublin School of English in Barcelona two years later and commuted back and forth from Sitges.

Continue reading...

from Lifestyle | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2YPyf2k

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form