'I haven’t seen a healthy version of marriage': children of divorce on the lasting impact

First it was taboo, now it’s commonplace: how the Divorce Reform Act has shaped family life over the past 50 years

I’ll never forget the day my parents told me that they were getting divorced. It was the late 90s, I was 11, and I had returned from school clutching an oil pastel copy of Picasso’s Woman In A Hat (Olga), 1935, which I had made in art class for reasons now lost to the mists of time. I was excited to show it to them. Instead, they told me I should sit down, and that their marriage was ending. It didn’t seem appropriate to show off my picture after that.

Seven years later, I saw the painting in real life at the Centre Pompidou in Paris, learning, in a twist of synchronicity, that Picasso had painted this sad, unflattering portrait of his first wife shortly after their marriage had collapsed. Olga left Picasso, and my mother left my father, though it was Dad who moved out of the family home. It broke my heart.

Continue reading...

from Lifestyle | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2P0Nyku

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form