Chocolate helps make a perfect mulled wine

Dark chocolate adds a special something to mulled and spiced wine. Plus, liqueur chocolates to get you in the spirit

Once upon a time, my life involved fishing every week. Some of that fishing happened in Scotland, on January days so cold that a flask of something warm became less a luxury, more a life saver. One of my ghillies taught me to put whisky in my coffee, which I did, even if my Spey casting then became more like flag waving at the front of a parade.

Ever since, I’ve had a penchant for a hot, boozy drink and when I found a recipe for mulled wine with chocolate, I jumped. Take 750ml red wine, 1 cinnamon stick, 1 dried red chilli, 1 tsp ground mixed spice, 5 whole cloves, 100g caster sugar and 50g of Willie’s 100% Cacao Venezuelan Black chocolate (100% works here, don’t judge me; £5.99/180g). Warm up the wine and spices in a saucepan, then add the sugar and continue to warm until dissolved, then grate the chocolate into it and serve: it’s delicious. Conversely, if you fancy all this but not as a drink, try Linden’s Mulled Wine 69% Dark Chocolate (£6.50/85g).

Continue reading...

from Lifestyle | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2EJTckQ

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form