How we live together: The couple living with locked-in syndrome

‘When I’m not working, we walk in the Finnish countryside. You wouldn’t believe the pleasure I get from the sun on my face’

Kati van der Hoeven, 45
I was 21 when I had a stroke that left me with locked-in syndrome, meaning I can’t move. But that didn’t bother my husband, Henning, whom I met on a social networking site 10 years ago. We have been married for seven years. I speak with my eyes, moving them towards the letters on a board to spell out words. Henning is so used to this that he doesn’t even need the board, he just follows my eyes.

For 12 hours a day, I have assistants to help with my care, which means Henning gets to be my husband rather than my carer.

Continue reading...

from Lifestyle | The Guardian https://ift.tt/33CcouS

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form