How we met: ‘I was really lonely, very unhappy. He arrived and everything just changed’

Pat, 72, and Donald Law, 63, met at a fracture clinic, after she broke her elbow. They have now been married 40 years

It was Pat’s broken elbow that first attracted Donald’s attention. He was a fourth-year medical student in Birmingham when Pat came to the fracture clinic. “Most of the patients who were coming through at that time of year were old ladies who had fallen over and broken their wrists on an icy pavement,” says Donald. “When Pat turned up with something a bit more spectacular, I thought: ‘I’ll examine that one, definitely.’”

Pat says she had been having “a pretty miserable sort of life” – not least because the PhD she was doing into the respiratory effects of a nerve-gas attack wasn’t the cheeriest subject – but forced herself to get out and about. “On a Sunday, I went up Snowdon in a blizzard, with no crampons, determined to get to the top,” she says. “I slipped over and broke my elbow. I came down and went to the pub with everyone else. After the pub I went home in agony.” A junior doctor in A&E put her arm in a sling and, she says, it “set funny”.

Continue reading...

from Lifestyle | The Guardian http://bit.ly/2XvCGwb

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form