If answering a child’s question about coming out is ‘pushing a gay agenda’, sign me up | Benjamin Law

With its final season, The Family Law becomes the first Australian TV series about teen queer sexuality. Benjamin Law says it’s the show he wished he had

Sometimes my work involves going to schools and talking to teenagers. We might chat about things like the craft of storytelling, my memoir and TV show, or what it was like to grow up different in Australia – in my case, as an Asian-Australian closeted gay kid of divorced parents in an overwhelmingly white, conservative part of coastal Queensland during the height of anti-Asian Hansonism. (The classic Australian story!)

Though the talks differ, I usually land on the same takeaways: that everyone’s story matters; that it doesn’t matter if you’re different; and that often it’s your differences that become your greatest asset as an adult. If it’s an all-boys school, I include fart jokes.

Continue reading...

from Lifestyle | The Guardian http://bit.ly/2SMeoMD

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form