‘Do I look pretty?’ is my daughters’ favourite question and it’s worrying me | Emma Brockes

Too many pre-teen girls are anxious about how they look. Fairytale princesses with tiny waists don’t help

As I do most years, I watched the Golden Globes red carpet show last week. I like red carpet shows. Among other things, I like the parade of pretty frocks and the awkwardness of one group of adults milling around shouting the names of another group of adults nearby. This year, however, the entertainment was impaired by the sense that – as the parenting manuals like to say – I was showcasing bad behaviour for my daughters. Along with “can I have a treat?” and “when is it going to be my birthday?”, the question “do I look pretty?” now comes up regularly in my house – and the attraction of the rote answer, “yes”, has started to pall.

Related: 'Rescue yourself!': Keira Knightley on why her daughter can't watch Cinderella

Continue reading...

from Lifestyle | The Guardian http://bit.ly/2M5j910

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form