I can’t have my mum in my life any more. But how do I actually walk away? | Leading questions

Nobody cuts their mother out lightly, writes advice columnist Eleanor Gordon-Smith. You’ve already shown bravery to get to this point

I have had a strained relationship with my mum for many years. She is emotionally abusive, verbally aggressive and completely self-centred. For as long as I can remember, my needs (and those of my dad and brother) have had to be pushed aside to cater for hers. She has outbursts and uses me as an emotional punchbag. Then when she’s got it all out of her system she just expects me to go back to normal, even though I will still be reeling.

After lots of soul-searching over the past couple of years and some very stressful recent experiences with my mum, I’ve decided I can’t have her in my life any more. I no longer contact her but she still bombards me with aggressive emails. I know ending this relationship is the right thing to do for me, for my wellbeing and my future, but how do I actually do it? How can someone walk away from a family member?

In Australia, the crisis support service Lifeline is 13 11 14. In the US, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255. In the UK, Samaritans can be contacted on 116 123. Other international suicide helplines can be found at befrienders.org

Continue reading...

from Lifestyle | The Guardian https://ift.tt/WlIQuOL

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form