‘A bigger paycheck? I’d rather watch the sunset!’: is this the end of ambition?

From high-flyers quitting their jobs to Beyoncé singing about work-life balance, people are recalibrating their lives and relationships to their jobs. What’s changed?

Until 2020, I lived by five-year plans. I had set my career track when I was still a child, racing through school to get to university, then university to get to work. I was often described as “driven” – approvingly by teachers and bosses, and pejoratively by ex-boyfriends, who perhaps felt they had got the raw end of the deal.

When I was 28 years old, I started seeing a therapist to find out how to work more and better. She and I discussed my career more than we did my childhood, or my mental health, or my love life. I didn’t want a partner, I told her, because they would just be a distraction.

Continue reading...

from Lifestyle | The Guardian https://ift.tt/MaB1XzC

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form