‘Needles v kids? No contest’: Australian parents go to great lengths for time alone in lockdown

Long showers, unnecessary Covid tests and plain old hiding: how parents are finding respite from kids during lockdown

After nine weeks of lockdown with her two kids – a nine-year-old daughter and five-year-old son – Mara from Alexandria in Sydney has her weekly escape-from-the-family plan down to a fine art. “On Saturday nights, when my husband is home, I go get takeout from three different places. My son won’t eat sushi, my daughter won’t eat fish and chips and I want what I want so three places it is,” she says cheerfully. “I walk instead of driving because it takes much longer. And I make sure to have a glass of wine first so I can say it would be unsafe for me to drive.”

All up, a trip that should take no more than 30 minutes stretches out to one-and-a-half hours of blessed solitude, and for Mara, the break is little short of lifesaving.

Continue reading...

from Lifestyle | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3jvCjzA

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form