How we met: ‘As soon as I saw him, I knew he was going to be the guy for me’

Elke, 55, and Mike, 54, met at a dinner party in Switzerland in the 90s. They moved to England following a family tragedy in 2010 and have supported each other ever since

When Elke moved to Switzerland from Brazil in 1994, romance had not crossed her mind. “My brother had been diagnosed with Aids,” she says. “He was living there and I went to care for him.” Sadly, he died in December that year, but Elke decided to stay and explore the country. “My brother loved Switzerland because it was more liberal than Brazil. He encouraged me to live there for a while.” She started an admin job with the European Tennis Association (now Tennis Europe) in the new year. “I think my boss felt sorry for me because I was feeling so sad all the time,” she says. “She wanted to set me up with one of her friends, but I wasn’t interested in dating.”

One night, she agreed to attend a small dinner party that her boss was hosting. When she arrived, Mike was already sitting on the sofa. He was originally from the UK, but had been living in Switzerland for several years, working in IT. “My friend had told me about this incredibly interesting Brazilian woman,” he says. “I brushed it off because I’d come out of a long relationship and wasn’t looking for anything.”

Continue reading...

from Lifestyle | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3jBCto3

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form