How clever deal making triumphed at bedtime | Séamas O’Reilly

The cunning art of doing deals – and the crucial difference between mash and ice-cream

It was my wife who first professionalised things. It took place in the common scuffle that kicks off around bedtime, wherein our son insists on one more final book and, inevitably, reneges on the promise the second we finish, issuing fresh demands for one more. This stalemate has been a burden on our lives since he discovered that his will is usually stronger than ours.

The things my son stands firm on change by the day. He likes mashed potato, then he doesn’t like mashed potato. He doesn’t like me and then he likes me a little tiny bit more, but still not as much as his mother. But it was the genius of my wife to formalise and interrupt these impulses by instituting the art of the handshake.

Continue reading...

from Lifestyle | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3y2Xf4V

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form