'Something has to be done': tackling the UK's Black maternal health problem

As the issue is raised in parliament, two women are campaigning for change within the medical community

Tinuke Awe hadn’t been long at her midwife’s appointment when her pregnancy started spinning out of her control. Despite her body swelling uncomfortably as her baby grew, it was only at that 38-week check-up that preeclampsia was diagnosed. The midwife’s message was stark: go straight to the hospital, your life could be in danger.

Once there she was given a vaginal pessary to induce labour, and told to expect nothing to happen for at least 24 hours. But a few hours later she was in agony. “I kept saying, ‘I’m in pain, I’m in pain’, but I was completely dismissed and fobbed off – no one looked at me,” says Awe.

Continue reading...

from Lifestyle | The Guardian https://ift.tt/30ucshx

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form