'Learning that a fertility doctor was my biological father was painful – but on the upside I have hundreds of new siblings' | Fiona Darroch

A joke in the tearoom at work led to a shocking discovery that challenged my entire identity, writes Fiona Darroch, but slowly I have made peace with it

I was born in Durban, South Africa, in November 1962. My parents tried for a baby for more than five years before hearing about Dr Walker and his miracle babies. They were always a bit vague when explaining how he had helped Mum to conceive but clearly held him in high esteem, so much so that he became my godfather.

My brother arrived two years later, and my younger sister was born just before my sixth birthday. We had a very happy childhood and my godfather, Tony, and his wife, Molly, played a big part in our lives. He and I became close after our family moved to Cape Town. We sent letters to one another and he visited often. My mother typed his novels.

Continue reading...

from Lifestyle | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3hVp1Iy

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form