I’ve fallen out with my mother over her racist views. Should I reach out?

Fear will be at the root of it – so try to work out what she is afraid of, says Annalisa Barbieri

I have always found many of my political and personal views to be at odds with those of family. Over the years, I’ve tried to challenge them gently about issues such as homophobia and sexism when they have arisen, while also trying to look beyond their abhorrent opinions for the sake of maintaining good relationships.

Recently, I have been increasingly outraged and disgusted by comments and social media posts by family members, including my mother. This came to a head in a phone conversation with her about Black Lives Matter, during which my mother made racist and xenophobic remarks. I challenged her, and when she became dismissive, I continued to point out the errors in her statements. She grew angry and hung up. She then blocked me on social media and refused to speak to my husband when he called about an unrelated matter.

Continue reading...

from Lifestyle | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2RWppfh

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form