How we met: ‘I hitchhiked to Kathmandu and spent days searching for her’

Nancy Guri Duncan, 75, and François Le Diascorn, 73, met in India while they were travelling as reporters in 1971. They live together in the south of France

In 1971, Nancy Guri Duncan was working as a freelance journalist in south-east Asia. “I’m from the US, but I was in Vietnam covering the war,” she says. “That summer, I went to Chennai (then known as Madras) in India to meet a friend from the US. We travelled together to Kolkata (then Calcutta) and arrived at a Salvation Army guesthouse.” They were told to wait in the breakfast area while their room was being prepared. A few minutes later, François Le Diascorn joined them at their table with another young Frenchman. “At the time, we were trying to start our careers as war photographers,” he says. “We’d come to India because we were interested in investigating the conflict on the Indian-Pakistani border.”

That evening, Nancy and François talked about their careers and future plans. “I was smitten that night,” she admits. “François seemed like the sort of person I could be with.” However, he and his friend were leaving the following day to travel to the border. “I was really upset, but my friend told me to get his name and address. It wasn’t much to go on.” François also liked Nancy, but thought it was an “impossible” situation. “She was American, I was French and we were both going to be in different places. I didn’t see how it could work.”

Continue reading...

from Lifestyle | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3bDsKsL

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form