My lover has left me at the age of 77, and I really miss her

Maybe it’s time to concentrate on the relationship you already have, says Mariella Frostrup

The dilemma I’m 77 and have been married for 54 years. Seven years ago, I delivered the eulogy for a childhood friend. Afterwards the lady next to me held my hand and said, Good job.” On impulse, I later found her phone number and called her. It was the start of a seven-year affair. She knew I was married. She was separated and later divorced her husband. I told her that divorcing my wife was out of the question. Also, I said eventually that someone would come along and steal her heart and that she would leave me.

Our relationship was wonderful. In time she mentioned that she would like more. Even asked what it would be like if we were together all the time. I brushed these questions off, usually. I thought it was an ideal situation for both of us. She had grandchildren to look after and her daughter was going through a difficult marriage. Our relationship was not going any further. She turned 72 and I knew she was concerned about getting older.

Continue reading...

from Lifestyle | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2s2cVtw

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form