How we met: 'As a hardcore single person, I now know it’s never too late'

Linda Rabben, an associate research professor, and John Eckenrode, a retired counsellor at an organisation for homeless people, live in Washington DC

Linda and John had been single for virtually their entire adult lives when they met in 2008; Linda was 60 and John was 56. Linda’s cat had died shortly before. “I decided I needed another partner, and this time I would try for a human,” she says. “I had tried answering personals ads before, but they had been disastrous for the most part. I thought: ‘I’ll try one more time and that will be it.’”

She joined the Washington Post’s online dating site. John was doing the same, cajoled by a younger colleague at the soup kitchen where he worked as a counsellor. “I was putting in an average of 60 hours a week, so it didn’t make for a lot of time to have a social life,” he says. “She was not very impressed, and she sat me down in front of the computer screen, and she said: ‘We’re going to do this.’”

Continue reading...

from Lifestyle | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2KyBK67

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form