I feel intense guilt about not wanting to have sex

I was abused by my father, which is a big part of the problem, but I am afraid I won’t ever find a relationship if I refuse intimacy

I am a 22-year-old woman with no desire to have sex. I am terrified even thinking about it. I feel intense pressure/guilt about being a virgin due to the normality with which other people my age treat sex. I have been sexually assaulted by my father, so I know this is a big part of it, but I am afraid I won’t ever find a relationship that can last if I never want to have sex. Do I give up on dating? Date women instead? Or be a loner for ever?

It is true that there is tremendous peer pressure on people your age to be sexual, but beyond that, given your history, I can understand your extreme discomfort and fearful self-questioning about “normality”. But one person’s “normal” is not necessarily the same as another’s. Right now, your “normal” would involve no sex at all, never even putting yourself in a situation where someone might act seductively. Allow yourself this and be kind to yourself about it. After the horrible betrayal of trust you have experienced, it is essential that you undergo a focused period of counselling and healing. Understand that wanting to avoid or to be in control of interpersonal relationships is necessary for you, and that this is not your fault; it is your abuser who has created such fear and distrust. In time, you will begin to feel safer and more able to form relationships and to find out who you are sexually.

Continue reading...

from Lifestyle | The Guardian http://bit.ly/2PrYDth

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form