‘It was a rejection of Trump’s way of thinking’: Ilhan Omar on being elected to Congress

The former refugee from Somalia on becoming one of the first two Muslim women representatives

I got a bit choked up on the day we were taking our official freshman pictures, which show all the new members of Congress. We were standing on the steps of the United States Capitol. From there I had a clear view across the Potomac river towards the city of Arlington, Virginia, where my family and I arrived as refugees a little over 20 years ago.

I was 12 when we arrived. We were an excited family, who were hopeful that we would all be accepted simply as Americans one day. We left Somalia in 1991 when the civil war broke out, hoping for a better life, and spent four years in a refugee camp in Kenya before we were granted asylum.

Continue reading...

from Lifestyle | The Guardian http://bit.ly/2EOvTZp

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form